銀座千疋屋120周年

1894
1913
1923
1926
1931
1937
1947
1961
1964
1977
1994
1999
2002
2012
2014
18941913192319261931937194719611964197719941999200201220132014

1894

Founded by Yoshimasa Saito on the 11th December 1894, with help from Sembikiya-Souhoten.

12/11/1894

The first shop called Shimbashi Sembikiya Fruit Shop was located in 8-2 Ginza.

At the beginning it was a simple fruit shop with the fruit on display, a little like a country market.

At this time staff put a table and chairs inside the store because they felt sorry for customers who bought apples and ate them standing, later a “Fruit Restaurant” was opened on the first floor of the shop.

Shop Front Sign from around 1894.

1913

The “Fruit Restaurant” was renamed to become the worlds first “Fruit Parlour”, by the son of Yoshimasa Saito.

1923

The original store was destroyed by fire during the Great Kanto Earthquake. A new store was built and the company renamed “Ginza Sembikiya”

The now famous Ginza Sembikiya “Fruit Ponchi” was created at this time.

Shop Front Sign from around 1923.

1926

Yumeji Takeshita was requested to design a poster and the company's catalogue cover, pictures of which can be seen below.

Poster........Catalogue Cover

1931

Sembikiya Ginza were given a Royal Warrant as purveyors to the Imperial Household.

The following year Yoshimasa Saito brought an “Star King” apple seedling home to Japan from the United States. After careful nuturing in an apple farm in Aomori, the first apple was presented to the Imperial Household.

Shop Front Sign from around 1931.

1937

Ginza Sembikiya becomes a Private Limited Company, and the Fruit Parlour renamed as the “Ginza Sembikiya Fruits Parlour”

Ginza Sembikiya's farm

1947

A second shop called “New Ginza Sembikiya” opened in 5-5 Ginza, which is the current location.

Yoshinobu Saito, the younger brother of the then president Yoshimasa Saito, designed a wrapping paper using a picture of a rose on blue background which is still in use today.

Yoshimasa Saito's passion for all things relating to fruit led him to undertake research on all aspects of fruit, including searching for original non-hybrid fruit trees. He even published books, and used his own watercolour paintings of fruit for its illustrations.

Immediately after World War Two fruit was not readily obtainable, however Ginza Sembikiya tried to help by making its fruit available to other fruit shops. Later it was instrumental in the formation of a “Fruit Union”.

New Ginza Sembikiya

1961

The 8-2 Ginza Sembikiya premises rennovated.

The 8-2 Ginza Sembikiya's restaurant

1964

Opened branch shop called “Ginza Sembiyaka Shinjuku-ten” inside of the Keio Department Shinjuku Store.
Around this period a new sweet called “DX Grapefruit Jelly” was created.

1977

Yoshimasa Saito's son, Keiichi, took over running the family business, and took his fathers name.

1994

The 5-5 Ginza“New Ginza Sembikiya”premises rennovated.
Ginza Sembikiya's 100th Anniversary celebrated by selling its “Fruit Ponchi” for 100 Yen

Entrance to the 5-5 Ginza Shop

1999

Relocated the 8-2 Ginza premises to 5-5 Ginza, creating a shop and company headquarters.

Ginza Shop

2002

Yoshimasa Saito's son, Mitsuru, took over running the family business.

Ginza Shop

2012

Published a “mook book” titled Ginza Sembikiya.

Published a “mook book” titled Ginza Sembikiya.

2014

Celebrates its 120th anniversary.

We appreciate your patronage.